Public Works Manager
The Village of Spring Lake is a quaint yet growing municipality that is looking for a full-time Public Works Manager. If you enjoy working in an environment that encourages development and teamwork while looking at the big picture, this position will interest you. We are looking for a career-minded individual to provide and manage various municipal services with the Public Works Department to residents.
• Plan, direct, supervise and manage the activities of the Public Works Department and employees, ensuring compliance with municipal policies, safety regulations, and industry standards.
• Coordinate, oversee and manage the maintenance and repair of Village roads, including pothole repair, crack sealing, street-sweeping and signage.
• Develop, implement, monitor and manage comprehensive snow and ice control plans; ensure timely and efficient clearing of roadways, trails and public areas during the winter weather events.
• Coordinate, oversee and manage the maintenance and repair of the Village's drainage infrastructure, including catch basins, culverts, and drainage ditches.
• Coordinate, oversee and manage the maintenance and repair of the Village's greenspaces and trails including landscaping.
• Coordinate, oversee and manage maintenance and repairs of all Public Works equipment and tools.
• Coordination, oversee and manage minor construction, repair projects and general upkeep of Village-owned facilities and recreational structures and parks.
• Supervise, manage and schedule a team of skilled workers, contractors, and seasonal employees, assigning tasks, monitoring performance, providing training and guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
• Collaborate with other village departments and employees, contractors, and external stakeholders to plan and execute projects related to Village infrastructure improvements.
• Develop and monitor budgets, track expenditures, and provide recommendations for cost-effective resource allocation.
• Implement and enforce Health and Safety protocols, policies, procedures, processes, and standards to ensure a safe working environment for employees and the public.
• Maintain accurate records, prepare reports, and submit documentation related to service area activities, including work orders, maintenance logs, budgetary reports, and performance metrics.
• Respond to inquiries from residents.
• Maintain confidentiality of employees, ratepayers, and municipality business as defined by the Municipal Government Act and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
• Attend seminars and training programs as may be beneficial or necessary to remain qualified to perform the duties of the position as directed.
• Perform in-field activities, including but not limited to roads, drainage, construction, equipment, and parks and recreational maintenance and repairs, as needed, depending on staffing requirements to ensure all activities of the Public Works Department is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
Education, Qualifications and Work Experience
• A minimum of grade 12 or equivalency diploma.
• Five years' experience or equivalent combination of experience in public works, construction, road and highways, or parks and recreation management.
• Experience in the supervision and repairs of roads and infrastructure construction and maintenance.
• Significant team management experience and strong management skills to effectively supervise, inspire, and motivate a diverse team of employees.
• Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and plan effectively to meet deliverables and adapt to changing priorities.
• Good physical fitness in order to perform manual labour and assigned duties in all weather conditions.
• A valid Alberta class (5) driver’s license.
• Certificates in first aid, construction safety, etc. will be considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Comprehensive knowledge of parks and transportation maintenance practices, techniques, and regulations.
• Knowledge in the operation and basic repairs of equipment used for grounds and road maintenance.
• Strong understanding of road repair, snow and ice control, traffic control systems, landscaping, and storm/drainage maintenance.
• Excellent organizational and project management abilities, including the capability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Proficiency in interpreting and implementing municipal bylaws, regulations, and Occupational Health and Safety standards.
• Ability to design, and where appropriate, build various carpentry and municipal projects including landscaping, playgrounds, and signs.
• Strong computer software knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite of tools and other database and spreadsheet applications
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills to lead the team, liaise with internal departments, contractors, community members, and stakeholders.
• Ability to identify and implement improvements for departmental efficiencies.
• Ability to provide a clear criminal record check and driver's abstract that is satisfactory to the Village.
What We Offer
• Benefits (Include Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance).
• Employee Family Assistance Program.
• Paid personal day each month.
• Competitive wage.
Please submit your Resume along with a Cover Letter to:
Village of Spring Lake
990 Bauer Avenue Spring Lake, AB T7Z 2S9
Fax: (780) 963-4260
* Resumes will be accepted until a suitable applicant is chosen.
** Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Village of Spring Lake is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement will be utilized for this Employment Opportunity only and is subject to compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We Hire Summer Students!
The Village of Spring Lake always accepts resumes for Full-Time
Maintenance Student Labourers for within the Public Works Department.
** We only actively hire during the Summer months **
Spring Lake has hired their requirement of Summer Students for 2023.
Thank you to everyone who applied! We are so fortunate to have so much support within our Community.
Contact Administration for more information at
780.963.4211 and/or email@example.com